Washington, August 20: US President Donald Trump has announced what he described as an unprecedented campaign of “economic warfare and isolation” against Iran, warning countries and entities that provide Tehran with an economic lifeline of severe consequences. The announcement marks a major escalation in Washington’s pressure campaign against the Islamic Republic.
In a statement posted on his Truth Social platform, Trump said he was launching what he called the “most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country.” He accused Iran of failing to take opportunities to reach a deal with Washington and said the United States would now pursue economic isolation on an unprecedented scale.
Trump warned that any country allowing its financial institutions, businesses, airports or government entities to provide what he described as a “lifeline” to Iran would face “tremendous economic consequences.” The warning potentially puts pressure on countries and companies that continue to maintain commercial or financial links with Tehran.
The US president specifically called for an end to Iranian oil smuggling, financial swap arrangements, cash transfers, exchange-house transactions, ship registries and the use of front companies. However, Trump did not immediately provide detailed information about the exact new sanctions or identify all the countries that could be targeted.
The announcement comes as the conflict involving the United States, Israel and Iran approaches its sixth month and diplomatic efforts remain stalled. The situation has also severely affected shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a strategically important waterway for global energy supplies.
Trump’s latest move shifts greater emphasis toward economic pressure after months of military confrontation. US officials have previously argued that sanctions and restrictions on Iran’s economy could exert significant pressure on Tehran and potentially push its leadership toward negotiations.
Iran has rejected Trump’s latest threat. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described the so-called “Economic D-Day” as an effort that would fail and said the US strategy would not force Tehran to surrender. Iranian officials have also accused Washington of pursuing economic pressure and attempting to divert attention from problems inside the United States.
The announcement could also create tensions with countries that continue to trade with Iran, particularly major economic partners. Analysts have warned that expanding secondary sanctions could have wider consequences for international trade and energy markets, especially if measures affect countries with significant economic relationships with Tehran.
The United States has maintained extensive sanctions against Iran for decades, and Trump’s latest announcement seeks to further restrict the financial and commercial channels through which Tehran earns revenue and conducts international trade. The effectiveness of the new measures will depend on how broadly they are implemented and whether other countries cooperate with Washington.
Trump’s declaration adds another layer of uncertainty to an already volatile situation in the Middle East. With the Strait of Hormuz remaining a major point of tension and diplomatic efforts facing setbacks, the new economic offensive could have implications not only for Iran but also for international oil prices, shipping and global trade.
For now, the precise scope and implementation of Trump’s “economic warfare” campaign remain unclear, but his warning signals a significant intensification of US efforts to economically isolate Iran and pressure Tehran into accepting Washington’s demands.